January 17, 2010

Four's a Crowd (Including Rachael!)

Six weeks in and this might be the first time the thought crosses my mind that we can handle this parenting thing. Jill is laying on Tony's chest and we're all in bed on a Sunday afternoon watching TV. Tony's Mom left a couple hours ago. She was only here for 24 hours but was such a help during that time. She held, fed, burped, changed and just spent time with the baby while Tony and I did other things (including a Hanny's outing! haha I will contain the excitement). It was nice to have an extra set of hands. We are lucky to have such great family!

This first month and a half has been interesting, to say the least. I didn't believe my co-workers when they said I wouldn't have much spare time while on maternity leave. I thought I'd read a few books, teach myself to cook, reorganize the house. Needless to say, this is only my second blog post (the other is the labor and delivery story). It's like we wake up and all the sudden it's 3pm. The other day I didn't brush my teeth until almost 6pm - gross! During the end of the pregnancy, Tony joked around and said that bringing the baby home would be like military boot camp. It's a shock to the system: you don't sleep, you get yelled at all the time and you don't get anything in return. You could say it's been like that. We were walking zombies for the first 2.5-3 weeks. Jill was sleeping but only during the day. Little did we know (we figured this out later with a second pediatrician) that I wasn't producing enough milk yet (probably partly due to a lack of sleep) and Jill was still hungry during her night feedings. We started supplementing with an ounce or two of formula and I began taking Fenugreek, an Indian herb she recommended that would supposedly increase my milk supply. It seems to be working (I'm still taking it) and Jill has been feeding better for sure. She's finally put on weight and it seems like the strength behind that extra 2lbs. is helping her feed more effectively as well, not that I'm a doctor and I know what I'm talking about! Well it seems that my blogging time has ended. The milk truck is needed!

3 comments:

  1. The first six weeks wiped us out, especially Laura. But once we survived that, things got easier every week. Hope that happens for you guys too!

    Hey, can we link your blog on our blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy how quick life happens! It really does not matter how many kids you have, life is just different:) If you need any pointers on add on's to your blog just ask and I will try to help...I am still learning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the first 6 weeks have been tiring for sure! You can definitely link my blog if you'd like. I did one about the pregnancy too. I'm still figuring out how to do that and make my blog more interesting. Sara, I'll link your blog too when I figure it out! Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete