March 31, 2015

Caroline's First Day

“First day?,” a fellow Mom asked.  I nodded my head yes and tried to smile.  I’m no nookie to the first day drop-off but apparently it’s just as hard the second time around.  I held it together for a few minutes but as soon as Caroline started to fuss and cry it was like someone had turned on the faucet.  I watched as her teacher, Miss Andrea, warmed the milk then gave her a bottle.  It wasn’t me caring for her.  God, that was so tough to watch for the first time.  My baby was 10 weeks old and starting day care. 

My husband laughed and told me to get a grip.  My five-year-old daughter, Jill, looked worried and confused at the same time but offered multiple hugs anyway.  I knew Caroline was safe.  I knew she was in qualified and caring hands.  (Tony joked she was likely better off than being home with him!) And while I knew all these things, I still bawled while pulling out of the parking lot.  I still cried for several exits down 495 North.  The first day drop-off does not get easier after the first kid.  Don’t be fooled.  But I know tomorrow and every day that follows it will get easier and easier.  





Tony texted me and Nana this picture with the caption: Someone had a good first day at school. 
Adorable.

Both girls fell asleep on their Dad.
Again, adorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment