June 2, 2011

The Dealer

I told a few colleagues about my post-work plans today: to attend parent/teacher conferences. 

Ummmm, isn't your daughter still a baby? 

What grade is she in now? 

No, she's not a baby anymore; but she's certainly not in preschool or first grade!  She's almost 18 months old and I met with her teachers to discuss her progress.  I'm serious.  I had a 5:10 p.m. appointment.  Jill sat with me and ate honeydew melon and red grapes while I reviewed her development with Miss Michelle. 

center of attention or card dealer?
toddler poker game
Some things Jill almost always does:  ("A")
expresses emotion
exhibits an age appropriate attention span
feeds self with spoon/fork

She sometimes: ("S")
engages in self play
expresses some self needs
identifies simple body parts

And I got a kick out of the note next to the gross motor development skill of jumps in place with feet together.  She "tries very hard."  That must be a sight!  A bigtime fan of music, Jill enjoys dancing.  Yesterday she did the winter waltz and danced to "If You're Happy and You Know It."  Today the class sang "Snowflakes and Cupcakes."  This month's curriculum theme is seasons with winter highlighted the first week. 

As I'm sure you've heard in the news, Massachusetts experienced insane weather this week.  Four people died yesterday as a result of tornadoes.  Tornadoes!  The western and central parts of the state were much harder hit than the eastern (where we live) but the weather was still very unstable and almost scary at times.  I contemplated even bathing Jill but waited in between storm bands.  We moved her crib away from the window around 9:30 during the most intense part of the thunderstorm.  I don't remember seeing lightening like that before - ever - especially in this state!

No comments:

Post a Comment